It's hard to believe how many people are living with back, neck, and spine pain. Back pain can be both acute and chronic, usually caused by injury to the spinal discs. Neck pain is also commonly due to an injury or repetitive stress on the neck vertebrae. Neck pain may radiate down into one's arms and hands. Spinal stenosis can also be painful and may cause numbness or tingling in the arms.
Do you suffer from any of these? Are they affecting your life in a significant way? How does it affect day-to-day activities? The good news is that most of these can be treated. It may require some time and patience, but we'll get you feeling better with the right treatment plan!
Austin chiropractor is here to help and will work with the patient to achieve pain relief and improved quality of life.
The city focuses on natural fixing methods such as spinal adjustments designed specifically for the individual's needs. This article will discuss how chiropractic care works to lessen pain and help you find the right adjustments for your spine.
Chiropractic Care For Your Back
Back pain is one of the most common complaints that people present to their doctor. It is a problem that affects more than 80% of Austin's residents at some point in their life, with many experiencing it on an ongoing basis. Research has found that chiropractic treatment can help reduce pain and disability for those suffering from back problems such as lower or mid-back pain, sciatica, and chronic or acute back pain.
Back Pain Causes and Symptoms
Back pain can be caused by a variety of things, such as falls or heavy lifting. It may include acute back pain experienced for the first time in your life and lasts only a few days to chronic back pain that has been around for months or years.
Chiropractic care helps you find relief from symptoms like:
- Extreme muscle spasms felt on one side of your body
- Numbness or tingling in an arm or leg - Dull ache deep inside the spine
- Pain when bending forward at the waist - Sharp shooting pains down both legs all day long
- Position for extended periods, emotional distress, muscle tension, and overuse, among other factors. It may take on many types of symptoms, including numbness, tingling (usually a sign that there's nerve damage)
- stiffness and difficulty moving around as one normally would without feeling some sort of discomfort.
How Chiropractic Care Works For Back Pain
Recovery from back pain can be difficult because of the nature of this condition. You may experience stiff or sore muscles in your neck, lower back, and upper legs caused by an injury to the spine or nerves. When you adjust for these pains with chiropractic care, it will help restore mobility and flexibility to your joints, allowing them to work without stress on other parts of your body, such as tendons or ligaments.
Austin chiropractor will use hands-on techniques to correct misalignments in your spine - called subluxations - which are believed to cause pain to certain areas such as joints, muscles, and nerves throughout the body due to improper functioning from interference between vertebrae. As well they will provide you with tips, stretches, and exercises to help strengthen your back.
Back Pain Treatment includes :
- Chiropractic adjustments: This includes the use of manual therapy to adjust misalignments in your spine and joints, called subluxations.
- Massage Therapy: A combination of techniques such as locating and manipulating tight or tense muscles.
- Acupuncture: The insertion of slender needles at specific points along the body to relieve pain; for example, chronic lower back pain can be treated with acupuncture.
- Physical Therapy: This is a process in which your therapist will strengthen weak muscles around your spine while stretching out tight ones that may be causing problems.
- Spinal Decompression Therapy for a disc that is bulging or herniated. Dr. Cody Capeloto will also provide you with tips, stretches, and exercises to help strengthen your back as well!
It's common to have stiffness or pain after waking up from sleeping on it wrong while having an injury such as whiplash, leading to chronic pains. If not addressed early enough by someone who knows what they're doing - like our Austin chiropractor at River City Wellness. The sooner we see these symptoms appearing, the better it is for our patients with back pain.
Lifestyle changes: It's important to be aware of how your lifestyle has made you more prone to injury and chronic pain, so doctors can help you make adjustments that will better support your spine long term.
How Chiropractic Care Works For Neck Pain
Neck pain is caused by several different things, such as poor posture or injury. Sometimes it can be caused by a misalignment in the spine, which causes pressure on your neck.
What Type Of Treatment Is Available?
- Adjustments: The chiropractor will go through a series of different adjustments, also known as "cracking" your back. Chiropractors help to release these misalignments, which relieve pressure and pain in the neck. We may also do a gentle massage on your shoulders or back to relieve tension there as well.
- Massage: If there is tension in the muscles or ligaments of the neck, shoulder, or spine that needs to be relieved, this massage therapy may help. -
- Acupuncture: If any specific areas of the neck, shoulder, or spine need to be treated, this acupuncture may help.
- Diet recommendations: If there is inflammation in the muscles or ligaments of the neck, shoulder, or spine, then this diet may help.
- Exercise recommendations: A certified personal trainer will assess your needs and recommend exercises that are appropriate for you.
- Exercises To Avoid?
Heavy lifting or anything where your head is craned backward for a long period can cause an increase in pain, so avoid carrying heavy groceries on one side without using two hands. Avoid quick repetitive movements with your arms, such as throwing punches while training, leading to muscle strain.
- Recommendations from a chiropractor can vary depending on the severity of your symptoms but often include some combination of adjustments, massage therapy (if tension exists), acupuncture, exercise instructions, and dietary changes.
Tips for Neck Pain Prevention
Keep your spine healthy by regularly stretching it out with yoga or other exercises that strengthen muscles around the body. Stay active but be mindful of how much you're carrying around all day long so you can avoid putting excess stress on your neck while picking up heavy bags from stores, etc.
Adjusting posture throughout the day and avoiding sleeping flat on your stomach are important considerations too!
How Chiropractic Care Works For Your Spine
Your spine is a complex system of nerves, muscles, and bones that make up your back. Chiropractors are experts in the spinal function and relate to the nervous system that controls all body movement. Regular chiropractic care helps restore alignment (spine curvature), improve mobility of the spine, reduce nerve interference and provide relief from symptoms like pain or weakness caused by misalignments.
- Many people think that a visit to a chiropractor is only for those with serious problems, but they're wrong! All levels of issues can be treated including acute injuries, neck pain due to whiplash injury or sports-related accidents as well as chronic conditions like arthritis in the spine."
- Chiropractic care aligns the bones of your spine and realigns the spinal column, which is a critical part of keeping everything in balance.
Causes and Symptoms
Causes of spine misalignment include:
- Poor posture or sitting for prolonged periods in a bad position.
Symptoms of spine misalignment can include :
- hand tremors
Austin chiropractor will take a complete medical history and examine any indication of injury or illness that may worsen the condition. The doctor also includes diagnostic imaging, such as X-rays and MRIs to help provide information about what is causing your symptoms."
There are many different types of treatment options for chiropractic patients. Your treatment plan will depend on the symptoms that you are experiencing and your desired goals for care.
Chiropractic treatment is a drug-free way to correct the misalignment of the spine, realigning it and reestablishing healthy function. Treatment options may include:
- Non-surgical spinal decompression may be recommended for patients with severe spinal stenosis.
- Spinal Decompression Therapy includes manual manipulations and instrument-assisted decompression to relieve the pressure on compressed nerves.
- Active Release Techniques are used in cases of muscle or soft tissue injury where tenderness is present and decreased range of motion is seen
- Nutrition consultations, which may be beneficial to those with weight loss and digestive complications.
- Physical therapy, chiropractic referral, or aqua therapy (underwater exercises) for rehabilitation from injuries
- Massage Therapy to help reduce tension in the body's muscles - Cold Laser Therapy is a low-level light therapy that reduces pain in specific localized areas of the body.
- Acupuncture to help reduce pain and inflammation from specific areas of the body, with a focus on certain conditions such as headaches or joint discomfort
- Cranial Sacral Therapy is used to rehabilitate chronic neck or back pain due to misalignment in the spine.
Chiropractic care is the key to fixing your back, neck, and spine. If you have been experiencing pain in these areas or are noticing changes in how they feel, such as stiffness or less mobility than before, contact us today for an appointment to help get you feeling better!
In addition, chiropractic care can be combined with other therapies such as physical therapy or acupuncture for more complex conditions. When you're suffering from chronic pain that seems unrelated to an injury, like arthritis in the spine, a visit to your Austin Chiropractor might be what's needed! Dr. Cody Capeloto is here at River City Wellness in Austin, Texas ready and waiting to provide relief!