Neck spasms happen when your neck muscles involuntarily tighten. You will feel pain and stiffness that affect your ability to turn your head. Stress and tension around your neck trigger neck spasms. Here are the things that you need to know about neck spasms and processes to relieve pain.
What is a neck spasm
A neck spasm is the tightening of the muscles in the neck that triggers pain. It can cause dizziness and extreme pain that could last for minutes to days. A spasm itself can happen in different parts of your body, most especially your neck.
The following are the primary causes of neck spasms
Neck spasms come with possible causes. Remember, it can develop once your experience the following:
- Strained your neck during your exercise. It puts pressure on your neck, leading to extreme pain or awkward movements. It happens, especially if you did not execute the exercise well.
- Carry heavy things. Carrying heavy items that are beyond your capacity can strain your neck. It puts pressure and tension in your arms because it focuses only on one side.
- Pressure on one side of your shoulders. It happens once you always carry your bag on a particular shoulder. It puts more weight on that side which causes strain.
- Holding your neck in an unnatural position. It makes your neck uncomfortable, especially if you execute the position for a long time. Examples are sleeping in an odd position and using your phone in between your ear and shoulder.
Some causes of neck spasms include:
- Poor posture. It happens especially if you let your body slump or tilt your head for a long time.
- Emotional stress
- Dehydration. Once you run out of water, it can lead to neck spasms or muscle cramps.
Severe causes of neck spasms can happen once you encounter the following:
- Meningitis. It is a severe infection that leads to swelling of the brain and the spinal cord.
- Cervical Spondylosis. It is arthritis that directly affects your spine.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis. It is a condition that fuses your vertebrae in your spine.
- Spasmodic Torticollis. It is mainly known as cervical dystonia. It happens when the muscles around the neck tighten involuntarily, making your head twist on one side.
- Spinal Stenosis. It occurs when the spaces in your spine suddenly narrow.
- Trauma from fall or accidents
- Herniated disc
How do you know if neck spasms are a sign of an injury
The pain you experience as you move can be a simple sign of an injury. It can be a muscle strain that can come with mild, moderate, to severe symptoms requiring immediate attention. Here are the signs that you need to consider to minimize the chance of worsening related injuries.
Pain. The first sign of injury occurs at the back of the neck and the surrounding muscles. You will feel throbbing pain whenever you switch the position of your head.
Aching. You will also experience nagging pain that significantly affects your sleep and concentration throughout the day. This pain directly hits you within your muscles.
Sharp Pain. Some signs of injuries come with intense pain. It is a knife-like pain that you feel whenever you move.
Muscle Spasm. Injuries can cause muscle spasms that can affect the injured muscles and surrounding muscles.
Stiff Neck. It happens when you are having difficulty moving your neck. It occurs when your neck is suffering from swelling or the muscles around your neck become tight.
Can neck spasms be cured by chiropractic treatments
Chiropractors like Dr. Cody Capeloto of River City Wellness are professionals in treating any kind of injuries, including neck spasms. They assess first the condition of the patient before performing or providing solutions. Remember, most of the neck pain you might experience is related to posture, and you can solve that with chiropractic treatment.
Chiropractors in South Austin, TX perform chiropractic neck adjustments, known as cervical manipulation, to limber up your spine in the cervical vertebrae and neck. It aims to reduce the pain from muscle spasms, pinched nerves, strains, and other factors.
Wear and tear is one of the contributing factors that cause neck pain. It also comes with poor posture. However, to address this problem, chiropractors use gentle pressure to realign the correct posture. They use their hands to control and handle your neck and vertebrae. It focuses on realigning it and bringing it back to its original place, reducing the pain and minimizing the tension around your neck.
Neck pain is not as typical as people think it may seem. Sometimes, the pain is associated with the pinched nerves that radiate around your body. Knowing the actual cause of the pain can help chiropractors identify the appropriate treatment. They reposition your bones, relax your muscles, and reduce the pressure around your nerves.
With proper treatment and continuous exercise, you can minimize the possibility of neck pain. Having a regular massage can also loosen the muscle knot that causes pain. It helps you relieve the pain and improve your productivity.
Can Neck spasms be a sign of a larger problem?
Neck spasms can trigger more problems once you ignore the symptoms. Neck spasms mean that you are experiencing muscle strain, and once it occurs more than a week, you might be having a bigger problem. The pain that you feel can indicate a spinal problem like herniated disc or osteoarthritis. It can cause chronic pain that directly affects your productivity and even concentration.
Will a chiropractic treatment relieve the pain that neck spasms cause me?
Chiropractic care treatment is safe and proven. Chiropractors perform spinal adjustments around your neck that ensure your overall wellness. It is non-invasive, non-addictive, and safe compared to other treatments. It goes directly to the root cause of the problem and ensures that your body will essentially recover and relax. It helps you reduce the swelling of your muscles and minimize the pain.
Chiropractors aim to realign your spine and reduce the joint restrictions around your neck and vertebrae. In return, it reduces the inflammation that causes pain and improves the function of your nervous system and affected joint. It enables you to manage your pain, and with proper exercise and a balanced diet, you can gradually improve your well-being.