Austin, Texas, is the home to the University of Texas at Austin, disk jockeys, and Mexican food. It's also home to the capitol building, the neon lights of South Congress, and great Tex-Mex. So if you're ever in Austin, what are some things to do?
1. Start your day with a breakfast taco. Tex-Mex is everywhere; try some on South Congress or venture out to one of the hole-in-the-wall mom-and-pop taco shops.
2. After breakfast, visit the Texas State Capitol Building for an up-close look at Texas politics.
3. Visit the University of Texas if you're looking for a place to learn about Austin's history. The Danzing hall and Alumni Center are two places that tell Austin's story well.
4. Experience Austin's hippie culture by visiting Barton Creek Greenbelt.
5. Rent a bike and ride up Congress Avenue to the Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge, also known as "The Bat Bridge." Bat Watching is one of the city's most popular tourist attractions because of the large population of Mexican free-tailed bats that congregate there.
6. Spend your afternoon exploring one of Austin's many live music venues during the daytime hours or watching an independent film at The Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar Boulevard.
7. Visit one of the many distilleries in town for a tasting at Eastside Distilling or Treaty Oak Distilling Co.
8. Check out the eclectic range of shops, boutiques, and antique stores in Austin's Warehouse District on First Street.
9. Head back to Rainey Street for a night of dancing at one of the outdoor bars like Clive Bar or Lustre Pearl. Rainey Street Bars are where you'll find some of the most upscale bars in Austin.
10. After a day of touring Austin, grab dinner at one of the best restaurants in all of Austin like Franklin Barbecue, Uchi, Odd Duck, or Contigo, before heading over to see a show at ACL Live or some local music at The Continental Club on South Congress Avenue.
While Austin is known for its universities, musicians, and Mexican cuisine, it also has numerous other things to offer. So if you're ever in the city and want to do something exciting, don't be scared to adventure out.